Skip to main content

New blog!

Hello fellow humans!

I have decided to keep my brain segregated into my two trains of thought for these blog posts. Let's face it, you're going to read both because I'm an excellent writer (note the exuding of confidence through the computer) but for those who don't care about what I have to say on day to day topics, and only enjoy my magnificent opinions on science-related topics, this page is for you! I even have a cool new URL.. I think. I'm no pro at this (ask the $0.05 I've earned from these posts). I realize one of you probably accidentally clicked on the ad and BAM, I earned half a penny (which only exists in the meta-world now a days, at least in Canada). So thanks for helping feed a starving student kind patron!

Unfortunately, it's way too much work to transfer the science posts from "NOT A JOURNAL", my other fantastic blog, to this one, so, guess I'm starting fresh. If you'd like any explanations of specific topics in science-related fields, feel free to comment them! I actually might consider doing some, like very little, research for this blog.

So sit back, relax, and prepare, because YOU GON' LEARN TODAY.
That's a reference to something.. I don't remember what though.

Good start Jay...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Concept of Concepts

I had a friend ask me about concept cars, along the lines of why make a concept? Do they even drive? I want to explore the many reasons why concepts are great things, even if they never come to light. First, what is a concept? Let's use the example of cars. BMW just showed off their new concept car, the Vision Next 100, at a show in Europe, maybe Geneva? It doesn't matter, but it was pretty fantastic. The steering was re-imagined completely. The materials used for the car body were unseen before.  Here's a GIF of the car . So assuming you watched the GIF in the link, it's impressive. The body of the car adjusts itself as the wheel is turned. The steering wheel (thing?) retracts itself after you pet it (I assume turn it off) but all of this still begs the question, why? The point isn't to see this car driving on the road in a few years. It's fairly likely this car will never see the inside of your average person's, or local millionaire's garage. T

Reality of Relativity

I came across an interesting question which brought me back to highschool physics. Want to hear it? Probably why you're here... If I'm travelling forward in a car at the speed of a bullet, and my partner in crime shoots an actual bullet out of the back of the car (ignoring the windshield), what happens to the bullet? Hm, seems simple right? It is if you have a basic understanding of vectors! Remember vectors? Imagine an arrow, pointing in the direction of the car, and another pointing in the direction the bullet was fired. So you should be picturing two arrows pointing in the opposite direction of each other. Now vectors aren't just arrows, they represent both direction AND magnitude. Magnitude in this case being the speed of the bullet, which was also the speed of the car. So these arrows (vectors) are equal in length (representing the magnitude) and opposite in direction. Pretty easy to follow, right? Now, here is where I want you to think of the scenario mentio